Saturday, January 21, 2012

Product Review: Unrefined Shea Butter



Shea butter is great for everything. It was the hype of 2010 when I decided to start transitioning but it was not all that great for using on relaxed hair. So I left it alone but kept it in my stash of hair products. Fast forward to September 2011, two weeks after I big chopped I pulled it out to see what it would do to my hair. It is such a multifaceted hair product that I now use it for several reasons. I use it to condition, to seal, and to style. Yes, it is all that and some. When I first started using it, it bothered me because it was yellow, didn't smell good, and was extremely clumpy...YUCK! I had some embarrassing moments with this one. But, after I realized that it is imperative to rub the shea butter really good in the palm of your hands, I was able to use it effectively.

So I use it for my wash and go's. Considering that is all I do to my hair at this point, it isn't saying much. But I will say that it is great for slicking down the front of my hair. I also use it as a sealant for moisture. It helps keep moisture in all day and I usually don't have to re-wet my hair after sleeping on it, just fluff and go. If I use other products, my hair feels like it dries out during the day. I think it is more of a staple for the winter though because it is on the thicker side and I don't foresee me using it as a staple for the summer, it will probably weigh my hair down! Overall, it is a good product. The picture above is it exact one I use, it is unrefined. I got it from a local beauty supply store and I am more than positive it can be picked up at any beauty supply store. It was fairly cheap. I paid less than 5 bucks for it so that is a plus.

Have you used Shea Butter before? What is your take on it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks Phenomenal ladies for showing love. What's on your mind?